"Bag lady, you're gon' hurt your back, dragging all them bags like that. All you must hold on to is you, is you."
Erykah said it years ago and she was right. All my large handbags have been firmly retired. They're just too much hassle to lug around as they get too heavy too quickly (before you factor in the copious amounts of hardware on most bags) and by the end of the day it feels like you're carrying toddler without the aid of a stroller.
If its not my beautiful GoldenBleu overnight bag....which is now strictly for travelling. Its got to be small.
And right now, this is the bag that's on my radar.
The Marc by Marc Jacobs Classic Q Ukita in Dirty Martini. Its the colour that got me. That goregous mink/oyster is one of my favourite colours for leather accessories. Its the perfect neutral as it works just as well with black/grey as it does with autumnal shades of brown. (More on this season's handbags later).
Smaller bags = carry less. We all lug so much stuff around in our bags but what do you really need?
In my bag everyday, I've managed to whittle it down to the essentials and normally have an assortment of goods that looks like this.
1. Book - I always have a book in my bag. I read A LOT and I feel lost if I'm in transit without one. I've just finished reading The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Fantastic, dark dramatic read. I loved his other book The Shadow of the Wind too.
2. Sunglasses - you never know when the sun will put his hat on
3. Umbrella - or when the skies will open (Just found this very cool site www.brolliesgalore.co.uk so it might be time for an upgrade!)
4. Pashmina - or when you might need a little more warmth (I realised a while ago there's a massive difference between pashmina blends and 100% cashmere. The one pictured is the Paloma Shawl which is available HERE. I also have the Gloxinia from HERE and the 3 ply winter weight herringbone in Royal Purple from HERE). After a few purchases and a lovely chat with the owner, I can offer you a 10% discount if you use the discount code YUMMY.
5. Wallet - We all use one so it might as well be pretty. Xmas present from my Mum. Interestingly enough I never was and I'm still not a Louis fan, there's something very wrong about the fact on their logo canvas they only use leather trim...the rest isn't actually leather. But I love the long continental style wallet and I love this colour so my Mum made a great choice with this one for me (Monogram Vernis Zippy Wallet in Rouge Fauviste if you're interested in getting one for yourself.)
6. Caffe Nero Loyalty card - because their Soy Chai is so much better than Starbucks.
7. Pocket Mirror - you never know when you'll need to be ready for your close up. This Clear Swarovski Crystal Compact Mirror is not cheap, but it is absolutely fabulous. People, ok, women ALWAYS ask me where I got it every time I whip it out.
8. Gum - you really should always have some! I usually order a multiple pack of Extra Sugar Free Gum that way I almost never run out. If you're not a gum fan, try Smints. Or Altoids .
9. Cute little pink snakeskin pouch - I bought this from a little shop in Portero Hill in SF before they closed, I can't remember what it was called even though I walked past it every day so many times. This little pouch the perfect place to keep a few makeup essentials (Benefit Lip Gloss , Benefit BADgal Pencil which is incidentally the BEST black eyeliner EVER, Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick, and always a couple of tissues)
10. Vaseline - I pefer this to the Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream.
11. Fancy Pen - Wedding gift.
12. Notebook - you never know when you'll have a sterling moment that you have to record to remember
13. Very cool Red Blackerry Case - from my husband
14. Don'ts for Wives - I found this in Oliver Bonas a few weeks before we got married and I loved the titles so I got this for me and Don'ts for Husbands for him as a little joke. Its VERY old school, published in 1913 and while there are some truths in it, the old school nature is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
15. Tiger Tem bag - always have one of these with me during the day, in case I do any shopping, pick up some groceries etc. And they are STRONG! I always have milk, juice and I've never had any problems. My girls that came out for our wedding all got one to use as a beach bag too. Gotta love versatility.
Here's a better picture of my shopper/beach bag.